August 10, 2020 to October 2, 2020
- Category: ABQ, Online
- Region: Central Ontario, Eastern Ontario, GTA, Northern Ontario, Outside Ontario, Southern Ontario
- Topic: Other
- Grades: Junior (grades 4-6)
Welcome to teaching at the junior division. Teaching in grades 4, 5 and 6 provides an opportunity to explore some interesting curriculum topics and concepts and work with children who are developing as more independent learners. As teachers we have many questions about how we can engage students in the learning process and how we can help them develop skills they can use to be successful as they approach the challenging teenage years.
The Junior Additional Qualification Course will enable you to acquire knowledge about the learner at the junior level to use as you discuss ideas for structuring a dynamic learning environment. You will also explore the topics and concepts included in the Ontario Curriculum and investigate issues around effective planning and implementation. You will have opportunities to investigate ways to incorporate assessment, evaluation and reporting into the daily life of a junior classroom. The culminating activity will be a portfolio of ideas and resources to equip and ready you for the junior level classroom.
Topics in this course include:
– Activities asking you to think about your prior knowledge, reflecting on new information and consolidating your understanding into valuable information, to help you as a junior teacher.
– Teaching strategy notes to give you ideas to add to your teaching repertoire
– Planning your classroom environment
– Examining curriculum documents and methods of integrating curriculum
– Evaluating print and online resources for the Junior Learner
– Accommodations and modifications
– Looking at ways homework can be useful
– Teaching literacy and numeracy
Please visit website for additional information.