OTF Coding Connections is a unique opportunity for teachers to pursue their own personal and professional learning goals using Lynx and/or MicroWorlds JR. These Canadian coding platforms and/or coding may be new to you, so your professional learning goals could be big picture or specific.
OTF Coding Connections is part of Code to Learn, a program funded by the Government of Canada, which offers free resources to Canadian students and teachers to help them learn coding, computational thinking and 21st century skills. Code To Learn focuses on learning to code and “coding to learn” by supporting activities in diverse subject areas and across broad curriculum goals.
How does it work?
- Small grants of up to $5,000 are available for teacher-led teams to build an OTF Coding Connections project. Preference is given to those in rural, remote and Francophone school settings.
- The grants may be used for release time, professional development, resources, materials or any other reasonable, related expenses to support your project.
- Funds cannot be used to purchase hardware.
- Participants receive training and free access for themselves and their schools to Lynx and Microworlds JR .
- Access to free online courses, webinars and a designated space for project communication and collaboration are also provided.
- OTF mentors help guide and support Coding Connections projects as they are administered.
To find out more about OTF’s Coding Connections project, check out our FAQ document.
How do I apply?
The application process is now closed and all teams for the coming school year have been selected. Watch this space for announcements of future OTF Coding Connections opportunities.
Here are some helpful resources to get you started on your OTF Coding Connections journey:
- Lynx Coding is the program used for students in Grade 3 and above.
- Microworlds Jr. can be used for students in Kindergarten to Grade 3. Download Microworlds Jr. Note that Microworlds Jr runs only on Windows or older Macintosh computers (pre Catalina – MacOS 10.15) and cannot be run on iPads, other tablets or Chromebooks.
- LYNX Learning
- Code To Learn
- Code To Learn@Home
- Project Requirements and Guidelines
- Creating the Action Plan for Your Project
- Practical Project Management – Resource from the Teacher Learning and Leadership Program (TLLP)
- Interim Report Template
- Coding Connections Expense Forms
- May 9th Virtual Kickoff – Zoom Recording
- Slide Deck Resource
- Ready, Set, Go! – Getting started on your Coding Connections project
- Virtual Coding Connections Check-In
- Important Dates
- Individual Participant Reflection