July 4, 2023 to August 4, 2023
- Category: AQ, Online
- Region: Central Ontario, Eastern Ontario, GTA, Northern Ontario, Outside Ontario, Southern Ontario
- Topic: Inclusive Classroom
- Grades: Intermediate (grades 7-10), JK-SK, Junior (grades 4-6), Primary (grades 1-3)
This AQ course will support educators to address Anti-Black racism in education. Addressing Anti-Black Racism to Change Pedagogy and Practice Part 1 was developed collaboratively through community consultation and will assist educators in addressing challenges faced by learners who identify as members of the Black community. It takes the whole community to dismantle discrimination and encourage transformational change. This course seeks to challenge the learner’s current understanding of pedagogy and practice by centering Black/Africentric ways of knowing and amplifying the lived experiences of Black students, families, and community members.
This course will also provide the opportunity to enhance knowledge and understanding of some of the historical constructions of Black identities, intersectionality’s, contributions, achievements and current challenges of Black people, communities and how as educators we can be mindful and purposeful in confronting and dismantling stereotypes as well as celebrating the brilliance, excellence and creativity of Black identities through practice and instruction.
- OCT member in good standing with a permanent or temporary teaching certificate
- Basic Qualifications in Primary or Junior or Intermediate or Senior divisions in general studies