As educators, we strive to create learning environments where children/youth, families and colleagues can thrive – free from racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of marginalization. This pandemic continues to illuminate social injustices in our society that were present before current circumstances. This COPA webinar will explore and help add resources to your toolbox to understand, name and act to disrupt inequities, in turn creating positive social change. We will focus on the jointly created OTF/COPA Safe@School resources – all of which are free, online, and in English and French.
Zoom Webinar – Presentation
Presenter: COPA: Mohini Athia & Janine Ruhinda
Audience: K – 12
- COPA resource Joining the Circle to support First Nations, Métis and Inuit students and families in English: http://copahabitat.ca/en/toolkits/joining-the-circle
- Joining the Circle Guide (with checklist for evaluating resources and self-reflection questions on anti-Indigenous racism) : http://copahabitat.ca/sites/default/files/educatorsguide_en.pdf
- Safe@School website: https://www.safeatschool.ca
- Resources on power and privilege: https://www.safeatschool.ca/plm/equity-and-inclusion/racism-sexism-homophobia-social-problems/power-and-identity
- Article on micro affirmation: https://www.theconsciouskid.org/racial-literacy-key-terms
- Tools for being an advocate/change agent: https://www.safeatschool.ca/plm/equity-and-inclusion/becoming-an-ally
- Storybooks and comic books: http://www.copahabitat.ca/en/books
- Youth empowerment section on Safe@School: https://www.safeatschool.ca/professional-learning/youth-empowerment
COPA offers a wide variety of workshops in English and French to support schools, school boards, education and community organizations to create safe. strong and free schools and communities. These workshops focus on the issues of child abuse prevention, bullying prevention, anti-oppression and social justice. Workshops can range from one hour to full-day and can be customized to meet your needs. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information, costs and planning.