This webinar supports teachers with the implementation of the revised Social Studies and History curriculum. In response to the Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, it is now mandatory for students to be learning about the histories, perspectives and contributions of Indigenous Peoples in what is now Canada.
In this session, participants will:
- Build an understanding of the history of Indigenous Peoples in Canada
- Examine how colonialism has and continues to impact Indigenous Peoples today
- Provide strategies and resources to support professional practice
- Develop an awareness on possible bias and misconceptions
- Create healthy and inclusive learning environments that promote equity and well-being
Facilitators will provide an Indigenous perspective on how past and ongoing events continue to have an impact on Indigenous Peoples. Strategies and resources on how to appropriately and respectfully embed this into curriculum content will be explored.
Presenters: Jodie Williams and Tesa Fiddler
Audience: Gr. 4-8 Social Studies, Gr. 10 History