Students need to know each other to learn from each other. As students return to the classroom and face to face learning, many educators are seeing the need to rebuild a classroom community. This workshop will focus on tips for building community, ways to increase student engagement, collaborative learning strategies and practical strategies to gather evidence of learning through conversations and observations. We will also examine relevant issues in history and civics through collaborative and inquiry-based strategies.
Zoom Webinar Presentation
Presenter: Sandy Kritzer & Jan Haskings-Winner
Audience: 7 – 12
– Presentation: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kJvlz6l_8HmvgED2j84vn6Gy–K2HBJJfMOtDXZCRpY/edit?usp=sharing
– We and Me Inc. https://weand.me/
– Jamboard used during session: https://jamboard.google.com/d/1TWabkLmQRGQEmpeNiaR1Oet6x0_o21scgi_sddN1VEs/viewer
– ALG Facilitator’s Guide http://www.edugains.ca/resourcesLIT/ProfessionalLearningFacilitator/ALG_FacilitatorsGuide.pdf
– Facing History and Ourselves has excellent strategies, such as Big Paper https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/teaching-strategies
– OHASSTA: https://ohassta-aesho.education/
– OHHSSCA: https://www.og-oh.ca/home
– Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants: https://www.exploringbytheseat.com/
– OTF Connects Calendar: http://bit.ly/OTFConnectsCalendar
– There are numerous other links in the presentation slides
Grouping Tips and/or Concerns
– The challenge can be when IEPs indicate that they have to be in a specific place in the classroom or with their “safe” people. How have you met that challenge?
– I used to pick out of a hat (live) for seating plans. I would fold certain students’ names differently and purposely pick them at a certain spot if they had to be in a certain spot in the classroom. This was they didn’t feel centred out, and still thought it was random.
– I would give them slips of paper, and ask them if they wanted to put down 1-2 names they wanted to sit with, and a name they thought they should sit beside to do better or learn best with. They handed it in without showing it to anyone, and I would use that in my consideration during relocations.